I couldn't help bursting out into laughter when I saw a friend of mine with a napkin in her hand and weeping as she read, 'PS I Love You'. She felt embarrassed seeing me and chided me for dashing into the room like that. I teased her for being such a weepy person and she protested that the story was really heart touching. That was when I started wondering why people read sad love stories if that made them sad and brought tears to their eyes. I was never a fan of sad love stories but was determined to find the pleasure of it.
That was when I started reading books and articles on sad love stories. Some had really tragic ends that made my heart twinge. Gradually, I came to know the secret of the pleasure of sad love stories and I started realizing that happy ending is not what makes a love story special. Rather, it's sad stories that have the power of touching the heart to a deeper level which stories with a happy ending cannot. It can stir your emotions and make you realize what love is worth and how special it is. For those of us who haven't lost our loved ones, it helps us discover what great gift we are blessed with and how precious it is and for those who lost love, it adds one more unique story to the entire collection of sad love stories. It may be true that sad love stories are painful but they have a special way of defining the power of love from a completely different dimension. It makes the unfortunate ones feel they are not the only unlucky ones alone and there are so many others with similar pain which ultimately empowers them.
Though it is true that we always anticipate a happy ending, we should also try to figure out what the other way around would feel. Love is a blend of both sweet and sad memories. So why only see only one side of the coin when the other side of the coin has so much to teach?
No comments:
Post a Comment