Saturday, 21 May 2011

Pride and Prejudice: The Evergreen Love Story

As a student whose medium of instruction was English, I had to read a lot of prose, poetry, drama and non-detailed books. One such non-detailed book was Pride and Prejudice, which was appeared in my Graduation.

After reading the non-detailed book, I desired to read the original book. Fortunately, it was available at home with my father. I took it and read it many times, still do it on a monthly basis. Only one word comes to my mind when I read this book - awesome.

How else can I describe a book which has been written centuries ago! Every time I read it, I fall in love with the book and its chief protagonists - Darcy and Bingley, Elizabeth and Jane Bennett.

The change of feeling between the principal characters from the pride and haughty nature of Darcy to the bias and prejudice being exhibited by Elizabeth are superbly written. How the affection between them as well as the trials of the Bennett family are explained in such a way as to transport us to the 18th Century England and the life and times of the people then.

The natural scenery and the difference in education and character by the Bennett sisters as well as the class difference between the rich and the other classes has been superbly documented. In the end true love and affection wins.

The fact that within a short lifespan Jane Austen produced such wonderful works of art like Sense and Sensibility, Mansfield Park, Emma apart from the masterpiece called Pride and Prejudice, makes us wonder how much quality works would have been left behind for us to read and enjoy, if she had gone the full distance.

English language is the gainer and loser in that whatever is left behind helps us understand the brain and quality behind the wonderful works we are reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews